Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Love is in the Air!

What a whirlwind of a weekend!

We went home to Raleigh, NC for RDB's big sister's wedding - and it was such a sweet and lovely event - hosted in a vineyard, lots of beautiful surroundings and sweet memories.  I was honored to be asked to read from 1 Corinthians 13 at the ceremony:

Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous 
or boastful or proud or rude.
It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, 
and it keeps no record of being wronged.
It does not rejoice about injustice 
but rejoices whenever the truth wins out.
Love never gives up, never loses faith, 
is always hopeful, 
and endures through every circumstance.

Little did I know, RDB had a surprise up his sleeve for the weekend.  He had mentioned on Saturday (the day of the wedding) that he wanted to go for a walk around the lake near our old apartment, but with everything we already had planned - and the wedding itself - we didn't get a chance to.  So, when he mentioned it again on Sunday morning we decided to make it happen.


The weather in Raleigh this time of year is really beautiful, so a two mile walk, under big evergreen trees beside a sparkling clear lake really is really such a treat.  About three-quarters of the way around the trail, we noticed a little wooden gazebo set back off the path, under the tall pines with miniature rose bushes planted all around.  Rich looked back and said, Why don't we stop for a few?  (I thought: oh, good - he needs a break, too,  I'm not the only one out of shape!)

We sat there and enjoyed the breeze, noticing all the little critters and insects, and enjoyed the view of Lake Lynn.  we had original made dinner plans for that evening with just us and RDB's parents - as a way to celebrate and relax now that J&B's wedding was over.  At the reception the night before, RDB had invited his little sister and her hubby to join us, and then when we found out that the newlyweds didn't have plans, he invited them along as well.  Our party of four quickly had turned into a party of 8!

As I sat there snuggled up with my back to RDB, I mentioned that I was a little sad we wouldn't be able to spend the 1:1 time with his parents, and he said, "Yeah, but it'll be a great time to tell everyone about this..."  He moved his hand in front of my face, and on his little finger was an amazingly sparkly ring.  I turned to face him.

"Will you marry me?"
"Yes!"  (Of course!!)

It was such a sweet and simple moment, just the two of us.  So perfect and loving and kind.  Little did I know as I was planning a dinner to celebrate that night, RDB was secretly having me plan our engagement party!

1 comment:

  1. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
    I am so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete