Friday, April 25, 2014

Camp Cooking #10: Cinnamon Banana Nut Quinoa

By now you've probably heard me mention my rice cooker about a thousand times. I am in love with this little device; so much so, that I have one both for the camper and the kitchen at home!  It's versatile - for so much more than just cooking rice and grains. My Oster brand rice cooker also came with a steamer basket feature. For about $20, this has been one of the best additions to my cooking arsenal.





Cinnamon Banana Nut Quinoa is a quick and easy staple of our camping trips - using the rice cooker makes this a set-it-and-forget-it kind of breakfast.

First, gather your ingredients:


Quinoa
Banana(s)
Nuts (pecans, walnuts, etc)
Cinnamon to taste
rice cooker, water, knife, bowls

I pre-measure out 2 servings of quinoa before we leave home and put it in snack sized ziplocks- 
again, its one more thing that makes this an easy throw together meal.




Add your quinoa, water, and cinnamon to the rice cooker.   Set to "cook."
While the grains are steaming, rough chop your nuts and slice your bananas.
(Wow, taken out of context that could sound really painful!)





Once the rice cooker pops over to "warm" and your grains are done cooking,
add in your pecans and bananas and serve.




Easy, peasy, delicious!




2 comments:

  1. Fold in 3 tablespoons chopped chocolate. Cover and refrigerate until thick and cold, at least 1 hour. John Alexander

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is the name of this food? I don't think it is delicious.

    ReplyDelete