Friday, October 28, 2022

We're All Mad Here...

Here lately, it feels as if the Universe I'm living in is another remake of Alice in Wonderland and in this version I'm having tea with the Mad Hatter:

"I am under no obligation to make sense to you," says my Mad Hatter Universe.

I don't disagree, yet this weekend, I have reason to sit here enjoying my tea with a slight cheshire cat grin of my own over the rim of my cup....

While we didn't see any characters from the beloved storybook, we did have a chance to spend Halloween weekend at Huntsville State Park - one of our favorite close-to-home parks. The weather on Friday was not being very cooperative, dumping buckets of rain in the early afternoon, but as we continued onto I-45 northbound, we could see just the tiniest bit of blue sky ahead.  And we'll take all the blue skies we can get right now - including the very sudden announcement that my Sr leader, the one who chose not to hire me to backfill a role I was already doing, who's only been in his role for just over a year, has, ahem, taken another position and will no longer be a part of our business unit. 

See what I mean? WTF-Wonderland indeed. 

It was still drizzling a bit Friday evening, but I took shelter under the tongue of our camper and enjoyed the lake view and a conversation with a dear friend I hadn't spoken to in a several days (TBH, it's felt more like a weeks!) <3 I appreciate how people are giving me space right now, all things considered, but it really makes my day to hear from friends, talk this craziness out, and imagine hilarious new playlists... 

I had found a few fun events around town for RDB and I to venture out to on Saturday, and it started with a really great lunch down in Conroe at The Red Brick Tavern on the square.  Great food, incredible service, and I can still taste the roasted garlic in my mouth hours later!  I didn't realize it when I picked an 'on the square' place for lunch that we'd actually be in the county seat of Montgomery County. Almost not even worth getting a picture of the building, because the oak trees were so overgrown and large.

But RDB and I both agreed that this courthouse wins for some of the best landscaping around the building; the waterways and fountains, big trees and multiple sculptures made it feel like Underland, for sure.

From lunch on the square, we ventured over to The Field of Flowers Farm for their Fall Festival. We had a chance to meet one of the owners, Jana, as we arrived and talked a little about how they're working to grow the place into an event space (14 weddings booked this year - if they can triple that, then her hubby can retire.) The $15/person entry fee was reasonable for most festival settings, but unfortunately - either the drizzly weather, or the fact that there just wasn't much there - it felt a bit over priced this time.  I'd imagine though, a spring festival at their flower farm, when everything is in full bloom, is probably worth every penny.  

Leaving the flower farm, driving thru the tiny town of New Waverly, we couldn't help but notice the church spire spiking above the scraggly pine trees.  A few turns off the intended path, and we found ourselves in front of St Joseph's Catholic Church.

(And I interrupt this line of thought for another WTF moment about the work stuff.  Cause, seriously, all weekend RDB and I would just randomly laugh, or say Holy Shit, or WT-actual-F? It's just. So. BONKERS.) 

After a short stop over back at the camper, we made our way to downtown Huntsville for "Scare on the Square" - an annual town-wide trick-or-treat event.

We enjoyed walking around, seeing all the kids (and some adults) in costumes.  I even met a new friend:

And wouldn't you know it? Huntsville is the county seat of Walker County.  

I happened to notice, under the second story railings that support the balcony around the building, there are decorative stars and "W"s.  The historical plaque that mentioned the five county courthouses for Walker county - including two which burned - had me think that maybe someday I should take my fascination for courthouses and turn that into a book, especially with how many courthouses, at least in Texas, had been burned at one point or another.  I totally understand the desire to burn it down somedays...

And other days, I have to keep practicing letting it all fall away.

Sunday morning we slept in (I wonder how many times I've said that on this blog?) and made our way over to the Farmhouse Cafe for lunch.  There was a bit of a wait to get a table, so we strolled over to Farmhouse Coffee and Cream for a quick coffee. Super glad we did - not only was the decaf coconut flat white yummy, but I came back over after lunch to get a few of the white chocolate truffles for dessert. (RDB had the coconut cream pie at the restaurant, and it was, once again, splendid!).  The atmosphere of this little coffee shop would totally be a place I'd want to hang out at if we lived nearby.

Back at the campsite for the afternoon, I'm working on this blogpost while texting friends (how cool is it that my Apple Mac and my phone's texts sync up?) and watching the lake outside our window. 

This morning before we left for breakfast, RDB and I both walked down to the water's edge; I turned to him and said, "Diesel would have loved this site."  He smiled softly and agreed.  I was chatting about raccoons with a.Fox just a while ago, and shared with her the first post I could remember mentioning raccoons, which happened to also be Diesel's first camping trip with us. Miss that Pumpkin. 

We'll pack up here shortly, and head back home.  Who knows what's around the corner this next week; I can only imagine how crazy it will continue to get from here. It's a mad, mad, mad, mad world. 


Couldn't have said it better myself, Chessur. 


We were at Huntsville State Park, Raven Loop, Site #14. We'd had our eyes on this one the last time we were here and really enjoyed having the lake front view - even if the lake is low and mostly green right now. We bumped into Bullet, the camp host, as we were setting up Friday afternoon.  I couldn't help but giggle that he said "Yeah, all the campsites lean towards the lake" as we put two legos on the lake side to get somewhat level before letting the camper do the rest of the work.  I'll be honest - I've literally jumped in my seat a few times this afternoon when acorns dropped out of the trees and hit the roof of the slide out. Overall though, this might be my favorite site at this park and I'm so grateful that it's close to home.

No comments:

Post a Comment